Chaconia Candles® is a registered member of the New Jersey Sustainable Business Registry by the Department of Environmental Protection.
We believe that sustainability is not just a buzzword but a way of life. We are committed to making a positive impact on the planet and the community we serve. We recognize that our actions today have a direct impact on tomorrow, which is why we are dedicated to implementing sustainable practices in every aspect of our business. From sourcing eco-friendly materials to reducing waste and emissions, we are always looking for ways to reduce our carbon footprint and improve our environmental impact. We believe that sustainability is not just an individual effort but a collaborative one. We work closely with our suppliers, partners, and customers to create a sustainable community that cares for the planet. By supporting local communities and investing in sustainable practices, we aim to create a better today and tomorrow for everyone. We are dedicated to making a positive impact on the planet and the community, and we invite you to join us on this journey toward a more sustainable future.
As a registered member of the New Jersey Sustainable Business Registry, collectively with other registered sustainable small businesses, this has resulted in the following savings for the state of New Jersey:
- $28 million
- 114,865,423 gallons of water
- 117,438,645 pounds of waste
- 1,140,754 gallons of gasoline
- 9,348,216 total miles traveled
- 110,163,464 kilowatt-hours, and
- 75,990 metric tons of CO2 equivalent greenhouse gas reduction
Our sustainability efforts include:
- We offer carbon neutral shipping. Together, with other businesses like ours, we help remove more than thousands of tinned Here's how it works: For every order we receive, a formula is used to calculate the estimated shipping emissions. Based on those estimates, a portion of our revenue goes to carbon removal companies that have been vetted by scientists from Carbon Direct. Those companies use that money to remove however much carbon our shipments created. Any extra funds go toward the further development of carbon removal technologies.
- We make our candles using a coconut wax blend, which consists of coconut, soy, and a small amount of food-grade paraffin (the highly refined food-grade nature of our paraffin puts it in the natural category and helps enhance the performance of the wax).
- We put in a lot of research to ensure our ingredients are nontoxic and our suppliers are aligned with our mission and have sustainable practices as well.
- For some of our needs, we support local companies and reduce our carbon footprint, by sourcing some of our suppliers closer to us.
- We partner with a supplier who offers carbon-neutral shipping, which we use, to help support projects that offset greenhouse gas emissions.
- We are strategic about our purchases and buying in bulk, so there are fewer multiple shipping. This is not always possible, but we try to look about three months out and plan ahead.
- We use a naturally biodegradable, compostable, SFI-certified, and fully recyclable wrap called GreenWrap when packaging our candles.
- Our packaging peanuts are biodegradable and decompose in water, leaving no toxic waste.
- Our boxes are sustainably sourced and recyclable.
- Our vessels (jars, tins, and bottles) can be reused, repurposed, or recycled. See more information under each product category.
- Our labels are made from Kraft Brown paper, which is 100% recycled.
- We often make our candles and home fragrances maximizing sunlight, and minimizing electricity usage.
- We recycle and upcycle the boxes that arrive from our orders.
- We upcycle biodegradable peanuts used to ship our fragrance oils.
- We recycle the boxes we don't repurpose, as well as our fragrance oils bottles.
- We don't use polypropylene plastic packaging tape. We use our branded gummed paper tape. They are water-activated, sturdy, and tamper-proof. We love it! The branding is on point and no plastic!
- We use branded corrugated boxes that are sustainably sourced. These boxes come from local mills and have up to 65% recycled content. Fewer trees are cut down because of this. These new boxes have vegetable-based inks. Also, the boxes have an aqueous coating to improve the biodegradability of them, if it does end up in a landfill (but we encourage you to recycle them).
- For our shipping labels, we use labels that are FSC® Certified, the gold standard designation for wood harvested from forests that are responsibly managed, socially beneficial, environmentally conscious, and economically viable.
- We recycle our plastic packaging with Terracycle's Zero Waste box.
- We now offer candle making workshops. Each participant is given an apron to wear. We now wash those aprons in between workshops using nontoxic and biodegradable Earth Breeze laundry detergent. We also use their dishwasher tablets to clean our pitchers and other supplies.
- We have sourced new reed diffuser vessels—a stylish amber vessel created from recycled glass bottles.
We are here for all of it! A little research goes a little way to becoming more sustainable. Any ideas? Please reach out to us at email@example.com.
Join us on this journey towards a better today and tomorrow.