The preservation of our paradise and our community are essential to us. Chaconia Candles® is a registered member of the New Jersey Sustainable Business Registry by the Department of Environmental Protection.
As a registered member of the New Jersey Sustainable Business Registry, collectively with other registered sustainable small businesses, this has resulted in the following savings for the state of New Jersey:
- $28 million
- 114,865,423 gallons of water
- 117,438,645 pounds of waste
- 1,140,754 gallons of gasoline
- 9,348,216 total miles traveled
- 110,163,464 kilowatt-hours, and
- 75,990 metric tons of CO2 equivalent greenhouse gas reduction
We continue to find new ways to be more sustainable.
Here are a few:
- We use coconut wax blend with 90% coconut wax, the most sustainable wax to use when making candles.
- A lot of research goes into our vendor selection process. Outside of having a fantastic product or ingredients aligned with us, we look into their sustainability products and efforts.
- Even though it will be cheaper to purchase wholesale items overseas at times, we want to help fuel the American and local economy and reduce overseas shipping, thereby reducing our carbon footprint.
- Though not always possible, we continue to source some of our distributors closer to us.
- We partner with a distributor who offer carbon-neutral shipping, which we use, to help support projects that offset greenhouse gas emissions.
- Instead of having our year-round candle jars mailed, we pick them up from a distributor nearby.
- We are strategic about our purchases and buying in bulk, so there are fewer multiple shipping. This is not always possible, but we try to look about three months out and plan ahead.
- We use a naturally biodegradable, compostable, SFI-certified, and fully recyclable wrap called GreenWrap when packaging our candles.
- Our gusset bags used for our sample wax melts are certified compostable.
- Our packaging peanuts are biodegradable and decompose in water, leaving no toxic waste.
- Our candle boxes are sustainably sourced and recyclable.
- Our candles jars and lids can be reused, repurposed, or recycled.
- Our labels are made from Kraft Brown paper, which is 100% recycled.
- We do our best to make most of our candles during the day, to utilize the sunlight beaming through our windows, to minimize electricity usage.
- We recycle and upcycle our boxes that arrive from our orders.
- We upcycle biodegradable peanuts used to ship our fragrance oils.
- We recycle the boxes we don't repurpose, as well as our fragrance oils bottles.
- We don't use polypropylene plastic packaging tape. We use our branded gummed paper tape. They are water activated, sturdy, and tamper proof. We love it! Branding is on point and no plastic!
- We use branded corrugated boxes that are sustainably sourced. These boxes come from local mills and have up to 65% recycled content. Less trees are cut down because of this. These new boxes have vegetable-based inks. Also, the boxes have aqueous coating to improve the biodegradability of them, if it does end up on a landfill (but we encourage you to recycle them).
- We often make our candles and home fragrances maximizing sunlight.
For our shipping labels, we use labels that are FSC® Certified, the gold standard designation for wood harvested from forests that are responsibly managed, socially beneficial, environmentally conscious, and economically viable.